We always look forward to boost our experience on our Android smartphones/tablets, either by installing custom ROMs like Chroma, or even tweaking the framework using Xposed. But there is another factor that highly influences Android users, and its the audio experience, especially for wired audio.
Most of you might be well aware of ViPER4Android – it is a leading audio enhancement tool available. Yes, there are a lot of others including Beats and Dolby, but nothing beats V4A if you have it configured right. Personally, I have been using this mod for over two years now, my phones have changed, their Android version also, but V4A did stick to the app drawer.
With the upbringing of the latest Android update, it was quiet tricky to get ViPER4Android on Marshmallow. But, the developer – zhuhang, did make the transition and has finally brought the mod to work with v22.214.171.124 (7 Feb, 2016). Before this update, the app could be unofficially installed on Marshmallow running devices. The latest update has some notable additions and necessary upgrades for the new-age Android devices.
- Added AnalogX
- Viper DDC and Spectrum Extension – V4A effects
- x86 and Octa-Core device support
- USB/Dock audio output support
- Speaker optimizations
- Channel Pan – change left/right channel output, and highly useful for faulty earphones
- Differential Sound/Haas Effect, read more.
- ViPER Fidelity Control
- Virtual Headphone Surround+
- Cure Tech+
- Convolver, to load IRS modules for various effects
Here is a little detailed information about the update as stated on vipersaudio.com.
Version: FX version 126.96.36.199
Compiled date: February 7,2016 – Official Release
Operating environment: Android 2.3 / 4.0 / 4.1 / 4.2 / 4.3 / 4.4 / 5.0 / 6.0
CPU platforms: ARM (ARM11 or higher), x86(Atom/i3/i5/i7)
Language: English (US) / Simp. Chinese / Trad. Chinese / more
Now, without any more delay, let us head over on how you can set up ViPER4Android on Marshmallow running device, like in our case it is the Nexus 6P.
Installing mods on your Android device may leave it non-functional or even soft-brick it. DroidOrigin will not be responsible if anything such happens. Recovering is easy however, and we will definitely help you.
Before You Begin
- To install V4A, you must have a rooted phone. If you haven’t rooted yet, you can check for your device in our Rooting section.
- Make sure no other audio mods are installed, like AudioFX. If there is, you will need to remove it completely. If you have problems doing so, contact us via comments.
- Also, you must have BusyBox installed on your ROM. You can download it by clicking the app box below. (You can try other busybox installer apps, but if you face issues while installing V4A drivers, you must install this one.)
- In case the driver installation fails – It seems like some manufacturer specific devices require SELinux status to be set as Permissive. You can use SELinuxModeChanger app to do the required. Thanks to our reader — Avip, for notifying this.
Steps to Install ViPER4Android on Marshmallow:
- Go to the V4A website and download ViPER4Android FX: Link | Direct link
- Move the downloaded ViPER4Android_FX_v2401_A4.x-A6.x.apk to the phone’s storage.
- Make sure, you have enabled Unknown sources in Settings > Security.
- Now, using a file manager (e.g ES File Explorer), install the apk manually, as you normally would do.
- Once it has been installed, go to app drawer and run ViPER4Android FX.
- When you will run the app for the first time, it will prompt you to install V4A drivers on your device, so tap on Yes. As soon as you tap, you will have to grant root permissions, so choose GRANT.
- V4A app will automatically detect the system and install appropriate drivers for the mod to work properly, and upon completion, the following message will be displayed: ‘Driver installed, please reboot your device’. And now as advised, reboot your phone/tablet (I hope you know how to do that!).
- When the device has rebooted, again launch ViPER4Android FX app.
- Tap on the 3-dot menu button on the top-right of the app, and select Driver Status. It should display Status: Normal.
If the driver installation fails, read the last point of the ‘Prerequisites’.
- Start using ViPER4Android now! Tweak the settings to best match your phone and output device. Are you using specific profiles for your phone? Post them below and share it with other users. We will definitely add the list to this article. Visit the Xposed XDA thread for more information.
Having problems with installation and setup of V4A, comment right away!