Ascend Mate 2, was a high-range Android smartphone by Huawei, released during 2014. The phone originally came with JellyBean 4.3 out-of-the-box, and at most supported Android Lollipop 5.1. But currently, Cyanogen does not accept this fate, and has recently released CyanogenMod 13 ROM for the Ascend Mate 2. So now, you can enjoy the sweet taste of Android Marshmallow on Huawei Ascend Mate 2 (Model: MT2L03).
The Mate 2 is a 4G capable Android smartphone bearing a powerful hardware of its time. Consisting of Qualcomm Snapdragon 400 chipset, with a Quad-core CPU clocked at 1.6 GHz, Adreno 305 graphics unit, 16 GB internal storage, 2 GB RAM, 13 MP camera, Bluetooth 4.0 LE module, with USB Host functionality. You can view the full spec-sheet at GSMArena.
The first nightly came out yesterday, so there are no bugs reported as yet. However, some bugs are expected, since this is the initial stage. CyanogenMod is a ROM, known for its features, and stability, so don’t doubt on using it. Also, for now, CM13 is the only way to upgrade your Mate 2 to the latest Android update. And as far as the hardware configuration is concerned, the phone is definitely worth updating.
Install a custom ROM shall void your device’s warranty. DroidOrigin will not be held liable for any damage to your Huawei smartphone. However, we will surely help you if you come across any such situations.
Before You Begin
- Make sure to take a complete backup of your storage, SMS, contacts, apps, etc.
- Charge your Ascend Mate 2 to atleast 60% battery life, so that the device doesn’t breathe out off battery during the process.
- You must have TWRP installed on your Huawei Ascend Mate 2. If you don’t have it yet, look here.
CyanogenMod 13 for Huawei Ascend Mate 2: Link
Install Android Marshmallow on Huawei Ascend Mate 2
- Download the CM13 ROM for Ascend Mate 2 and the 6.0 Gapps package from the link above.
- Now, connect your phone to the PC using a USB cable. And, transfer the ROM (e.g. cm-13.0-20160127-NIGHTLY-mt2.zip) and GApps zip to the storage.
- Disconnect your phone and power it off completely.
- Now, press and hold Volume Up and Power button to boot into TWRP recovery mode on Mate 2.
- On the TWRP main screen, go to Wipe > Advanced Wipe.
- Select the Dalvik Cache, Data, System, and Cache check boxes. Now, swipe the button on the bottom of the wipe screen to start the wiping process. This will merely take a few seconds.
- Once the selected partitions have been cleared, tap on Install. Navigate the storage and select the ROM zip from where you placed it.
- When the ROM has been selected, tap on Add More Zips. And this time, select the GApps zip.
- Now that both the files have been lined up, swipe the button on the bottom to start the flashing process.
- The flashing process might take a few minutes, at most.
- When done, you can select Reboot System.
The process was pretty simple and would install Android Marshmallow on Huawei Ascend Mate 2, within a matter of minutes. Once the phone has booted, complete the start-up setup and begin using CyanogenMod 13.
If you have any queries, drop a comment below, and we will do the best we can, to help you.