The most commonly used Audio modification tool among the Android users is ViPER4Android. It has been making audio clearer and more perceptible on millions of Android devices out there. If you have Marshmallow on your device, you can read our guide – How to Install ViPER4Android on Marshmallow 6.0. Today here, we will be guiding you on how to Install ViPER4Android on Nougat running devices.
Note: The article below has been updated with new information and instructions. So do not skip anything.
After months and months of no activity, the V4A developer zhuhang has finally announced the official 22.214.171.124 update. While primarily, the update aims at enabling users to install ViPER4Android on Nougat 7.x, it also incorporates some new features.
- New App icon, package name, and UI
- Added cross-channel (“quad channel”) convolver support. This allows faithful reproduction of sound-field effects requiring such cross-channel convolution, such as simulation of speaker soundfield on headphones, or crosstalk cancellation (stereo widening) on stereo speakers.
- Added FET compressor (new compressor / limiter simulating operation of FET circuits)
- Support for custom settings storage path (no more looking everywhere in the phone for the settings directory!)
- Miscellaneous bug fixes.
Version: FX version 126.96.36.199 (active)
Codename: (FX version) Beautiful
Compiled date: September 1,2016 / September 4,2013 – Official Release
Operating environment: Android 2.3 / 4.0 / 4.1 / 4.2 / 4.3 / 4.4 / 5.0 / 6.0 / 7.0
CPU platforms: ARM (ARM CortexA8 or higher), x86(Atom/i3/i5/i7)
Language: English (US) / Simplified Chinese / Traditional Chinese / more
Installing V4A is pretty simple, given that you meet the requirements pre-hand. If you have found yourself in a sticky situation, then the steps below could be of help too.
Installing incorrect/incompatible mods on your Android device could be harmful. Please make sure that you are aware of the outcome and don’t forget to take a Nandroid backup of your current ROM before proceeding. DroidOrigin or any of its members shall not be held liable for any damage to your device. However, if you’re stuck, we will still try to pull you out of any troubles.
A Few Things First
- The foremost requirement of installing ViPER4Android on Nougat is to have a rooted device with TWRP installed. You can search for your device specific rooting guide here and TWRP guides here. If there is none, then you can simply request us to write one down (email us at [email protected]).
- Next, make sure that you have no other sound tweak/mod installed on your phone. Also, it is IMPORTANT to uninstall any previous versions of V4A or you will end up having two V4A clashing. The latest update has a new package name and signature.
- V4A requires busybox installed on your device. If it came pre-installed on your custom ROM, fine. If not, then click the box below to download the BusyBox app from Play Store and run it.
- Install a root file manager. We recommend Solid Explorer File Manager.
- It is highly advised to take a full Nandroid backup of your current ROM setup. If anything goes unplanned, then you can just restore your device back to its previous state.
Steps To Install ViPER4Android On Nougat
- Now that you have everything setup correctly, download the official ViPER4Android for Nougat (FX 188.8.131.52): Link
- Extract the downloaded zip and it will contain two apks –
- Since we are going to install V4A on Nougat, we will just need the “ViPER4Android_FX_v2505_A7.x_Nougat_IO_test_fix.apk” file.
- If you have downloaded it to your PC instead, just transfer the apk to your phone’s storage.
- Before we head to the installation, open the root file explorer and grant it root permissions when prompted. Navigate the root/system storage and go to “/vendor/etc”.
- You shall see a file named “audio_effects.conf”. Rename that file to “audio_effects.conf.bak“. While you can simply delete the file, but we prefer renaming and keeping it, if we require it in future.
- Open root file manage and browse to the location where the apk is present. Copy the . “ViPER4Android_FX_v2505_A7.x_Nougat_IO_test_fix.apk” file and move it to /system/priv-app.
- We are not done yet. Long-press the file, tap on the 3-dot overflow button, and select Properties. Go to the ATTRIBUTES tab, set its permission to -rw-r–r–, and select APPLY.
- Reboot your device now.
- Now go to the app drawer and run the ViPER4Android FX app. When you are asked for storage permissions, make sure to grant them.
- A prompt will display for driver installation. Select Yes to confirm the driver installation process. You will also need to allow Superuser permissions to the app.
- Your phone’s screen may freeze, don’t worry just wait and do not exit the app. When the installation is successful, you will get a message. Tap OK and reboot your device.
When your device reboots, you will have completely functional ViPER4Android on Nougat. This was simple wasn’t it? If you have trouble in driver installation, read the troubleshooting section below or comment right away.
If your driver installation has failed, then there could be few reasons behind it. Follow the simple steps below and check if anything helps.
- Getting “Driver instal failed: I/O error, please reboot and try again”? Then read step #6.
- Uninstall the current busybox and switch to a different app to install busybox on your Android.
- The most reliable and widely used method to root and manage permissions is SuperSU. If you’re using any other root method, uninstall that and opt for SuperSU.
- Driver installation was successful, but V4A is still not working? The most common reason behind this is that your device may have other sound mods or tweaks installed. Disable them and completely remove them if possible.
- On some devices, you may require to change your SELinux status from “Enforcing” to “Permissive”. You can do that by using the SELinuxToggler.
- If nothing above has worked for you, then you may try switching to a different ROM as your last resort.
- If you still have problems, comment below and don’t forget to mention your device model, ROM, and Android version.
Are you now enjoying the superior sound quality of your device? Share this article on your social profiles and let others know about it too.