Have you brought the Mate 8 yet? We are going to help you unlock bootloader, install TWRP and finally root Huawei Mate 8.
Huawei is recently trying hard to top the smartphone market with its powerful range of Android smartphones, like the Nexus 6P. And here comes the Huawei Mate 8, which is based off HiSilicon Kirin 950 chipset clocked at 2.3 GHz. Further, it also incorporates a Mali-T880 MP4 graphics unit, 6.0-inches IPS-Neo LCD display, 64 GB internal storage, 4 GB RAM, 16 MP dual-LED flash with f/2.0 aperture, USB host support, fingerprint sensor, and comes with the latest Android Marshmallow 6.0.
The phone was announced and released during November, last year, and has already gained some popularity in the smartphone market. The Mate 8 somewhat resembles a Galaxy Note 5, except with a better design, with ~78% body-to-screen ratio, giving it a much better and premium look.
Now, if you have managed to grab one for yourself, you can boost your experience by rooting your newly bought device. But to do so, you first need to unlock the bootloader and install TWRP recovery. Later, we are going to use Chainfire’s SuperSU root package.
Rooting is experimental and may damage your device, if done wrong. DroidOrigin won’t be held liable for any damage, but we will help you if you come across any such situation.
- Backup your Mate 8 completely, including the storage (it will be wiped clean during the process), apps, messages, contacts, and everything you feel necessary.
- Charge your phone to at least 60% battery level, to avoid any sudden shut downs during the process.
- Install Android SDK for ADB and fastboot access. You can also use 15 seconds ADB Installer.
- Install Huawei USB drivers on your PC.
- Download latest TWRP recovery image: Link
- Download SuperSU root package: Link
Huawei officially supports unlocking bootloader. Just follow the simple instructions on the Huaweri Unlock Page. To unlock, it is necessary that you have a Huawei ID on your phone, and have stayed signed-in for at least 14 days. Once you have, you can begin with the unlock process.
Install TWRP Recovery
When you have unlocked your device, you can move towards installing TWRP recovery. Follow the steps below.
- Make sure you have downloaded the TWRP image on your PC.
- Reboot into bootloader mode – Power off your Mate 8 completely. Now press and hold the Volume Down and Power keys until you see the bootloader/fastboot screen. Now, connect your Huawei Mate 8 to the PC while it is in bootloader mode.
- Go to the folder/directory where TWRP-3.0.2-0-next.img has been downloaded. On an empty space inside the same folder, press the SHIFT key and right-click. Select Open command window here from the pop-up that appears.
- Now start by entering the following command in the CMD window that has opened in the previous step.
This command should return a device ID. If it doesn’t, you will have to make sure to install and setup Android SDK properly.
- Flash the TWRP recovery image using the following command:
fastboot flash recovery TWRP-3.0.2-0-next.img
- It will take a few seconds, and then you can reboot your phone by entering the command below:
Root Huawei Mate 8
- Now, connect your phone to the PC in MTP mode, and transfer the SuperSU-v2.78-201609011115.zip to the phone’s storage. You can disconnect it now.
- Now that you have flashed TWRP successfully, you can root your Mate 8. To do so, first power off the device. Now, press and hold the Volume Up and Power keys until you see the lights on, and further keep holding the Volume Up key until you see the TWRP recovery mode.
- When in TWRP mode, go to Install. Now, navigate the device’s storage, select SuperSU-v2.78-201609011115.zip. Finally, swipe the “Swipe to confirm Flash” button.
- Finally, tap on Reboot System.
So now that you have rooted your Huawei Mate 8, what do you plan on doing with it next? Well, you can try several root apps or even a custom ROM. If you have issues, comment below and let us know.