Earlier today, we published an article that would help you unlock your Honor 8’s bootloader. And now following the scene, we are here to guide you install TWRP recovery and root Honor 8 within a few simple steps. We believe that you already know why you need to root, since that is why you are here. But for those who are unaware of the benefits, let us pin them down.
Rooting will open up the gates to unlocking your phone’s full potential. The first advantage you are offered on a rooted device is that you can tinker with the stock firmware, and free it from the stock bloatware. You can also tweak the way how efficiently your software makes use of the available hardware. Next, rooting will help you overclock or underclock your device’s processor and other hardware components to get the most out of it. While these are just a few, there are several other benefits too.
Now that you know what you can do with your rooted Honor 8, let us begin by first installing TWRP recovery on your phone and then rooting it using Chainfire’s SuperSU.
Rooting or Installing TWRP will put an end to your device’s warranty or may even brick your handset if done wrong. No one else (Including DroidOrigin), shall be responsible if it comes to that, but you.
- Backup everything! This includes your internal storage, messages, contacts, and everything else that you deem necessary.
- Charge your Honor 8 to at least 60% battery level to avoid any interruptions during the process.
- Honor 8 must have an unlocked bootloader. If you still haven’t done it, follow the steps here.
- Download and install Huawei USB drivers on your PC: Link
- Setup Android SDK on your PC: Link
- Enable USB debugging on your Honor 8 by going to Settings > Developer options. If you don’t know how, you can read this tutorial.
Install TWRP & Root Honor 8
- TWRP is not officially supported right now. But PaulOBrien from MoDaCo has been kind enough to post an unofficial TWRP port for the Honor 8. So first, download the TWRP recovery image (Filename: twrp-3.0.2-0-frd-modaco-rc1.img).
- Now open the folder on your PC where the file has been downloaded. Press the SHIFT key and right-click on an empty part of the folder. Select “Open command window here” from the pop-up that appears. This will open a new command prompt/CMD window.
- Connect your device to the PC via USB cable.
- Enter the command below to flash TWRP recovery:
fastboot flash recovery twrp-3.0.2-0-frd-modaco-rc1.img
- It shall only take a few seconds and then you may reboot your device by entering:
- Okay, so now you are done with flashing TWRP. The next thing to do is flash SuperSU through recovery.
- Download the SuperSU package and transfer the zip file to your H8’s internal storage: UPDATE-SuperSU-v2.76-20160630161323.zip
- Connect the phone to the PC and open a command prompt window, again.
- Reboot into TWRP recovery mode by entering the following command:
adb reboot recovery
- Once it boots into TWRP, go to “Install” and browse the storage for the SuperSU zip file. Select it and swipe the “Swipe to Confirm Flash” button.
- After the flashing process is complete, tap on “Reboot system“.
That was quiet simple, eh? If you face any issues during the process, let us know by leaving a comment below.