Your favourite custom recovery – TWRP or TeamWin Recovery Project has just been updated to v3.0.0!
Lately, I have been watching a good amount of movement at TeamWin Github, but wasn’t aware that a new version is in the works. The changes have been pushed already to the source at Git. Its been long since TWRP 2 was on track, but the team has finally decided to change the numbering to 3.x.x. Also, the numbering scheme will now look forward like 3.0.0-2, rather than 184.108.40.206, which was the previously used 4-digit numbering.
There are some major updates and aggressive additions, and since this is an initial release, a few bugs, or to be precise, some graphics related issues may be present. So, if you’re not willing to take a risk, you should stick to the latest stable version of TWRP for your supported device. In a long time, since the first TWRP came into existence, its the first time that the default TWRP theme has been changed, to a much better looking and materialized theme .
Now, moving to the actual changes as listed by TeamWin at their blog.
What’s new in TWRP 3.0.0
- Completely new theme – Much more modern and much nicer looking (by z31s1g)
- True Terminal Emulator – Includes arrow keys, tab and tab completion, etc. (by _that)
- Language translation – It won’t be perfect and especially some languages that require large font files like Chinese & Japanese won’t be availble on most devices. Also some languages may only be partially translated at this time. Feel free to submit more translations to OmniROM’s Gerrit. (mostly by Dees_Troy)
- Flashing of sparse images – On select devices you will be able to flash some parts of factory images via the TWRP GUI (by HashBang173)
- Adopted storage support for select devices – TWRP can now decrypt adopted storage partitions from Marshmallow
- Reworked graphics to bring us more up to date with AOSP – includes support for adf and drm graphics (by Dees_Troy)
- SuperSU prompt will no longer display if a Marshmallow ROM is installed
- Update exfat, exfat fuse, dosfstools (by mdmower)
- Update AOSP base to 6.0
- A huge laundry list of other minor fixes and tweaks
The team has also stated something else, which is something people, and especially developers should definitely look into:
We need your help! The bulk of TWRP work is done by 3 people on a volunteer basis. We have pushed most of our device files to our github and we have a gerrit instance. If you have the ability, please help us maintain our official devices and/or add your device to our official device list. Thanks in advance! - TeamWin
If you’re using an unofficial version of TWRP for your device, you may want to contact your concerned developer to update the theme core files.
Tell us how you feel about the new and updated TWRP 3.0.0. If you have issues installing the latest TWRP on your supported device, you can comment below.